Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRA limit on the Worksheet called Social Security recipients who contribute to a traditional IRA line 2

Taxpayer is on social security and is also a minister with a church.  He has a wage in box 1 of the W-2, schedule C income and some excess housing allowance that is reported with the wages on the form 1040.  I added the wage from the W-2, plus the schedule C net income less half the FICA tax on the schedule C income.  I expected to find this number on the Worksheet called Social Security recipients who contribute to a traditional IRA line 2. 

The number on line 2 is much lower and is restricting the IRA contribution. 

Do you know how I can see the math the program is using to get to wages and other earned income on line 2 of this worksheet?  I am afraid the software knows a special rule for clergy that I don’t know.  I was going to just override the calculation but hope to first see the math

Any ideas?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
RaifH
Expert Alumni

IRA limit on the Worksheet called Social Security recipients who contribute to a traditional IRA line 2

You can right-click on the number and select Data Source. The earned income should be self-employment earnings minus half of the self-employment tax plus any W-2 income. Was any portion of the earnings a parsonage allowance?

Thanks that's helping.  He had $3,000 wage in the W-2 box 1, nothing in box 3 and 5. 

The calculation is ignoring that as a wage to include in the IRA calculation.  I can't understand why, maybe I missed a box?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies