turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

moffanny

IRA - contribution to IRA did not pass before tax deadline 2020

Hi, 

On July 14th, I created a IRA account and thought I transferred the maximum amount. On July 15th, I sent my tax declaration. Unfortunately, Fidelity was unable to transfer the amount on time to the IRA, so there is a mistake in my tax declaration. My contribution to IRA for 2019 was finally 0$. 

How can I correct the mistake? 

Thank you 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Amend the return to remove the contribution ... however do not amend it until the IRS processes the original return and you have the original refund in hand. 

moffanny

Thank you. I already received the refunds (state and federal).

What is the penalty that I will face? Should I modify my return as soon as possible? Should I made all those modifications within TurboTax? Any tips to do so? 

You did not say if this was a Traditional IRA that you received a tax deduction for of a Roth IRA that does not actually go on a tax return but might add to the "savers credit" if you qualify for that.    If a Roth and no savers credit then you do not need to do anything.    If Traditional then you must amend.

Amended returns can only be mailed. It is suggested that it be mailed certified with return receipt (or other tracking service) to verify that the IRS receives it.

See this TurboTax FAQ for detailed amend instructions:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

-- Amended returns can only be mailed - allow 8-12 weeks - can take up to 16 weeks (4 months) for processing.

You can check the status of the amended return here, but allow 3 weeks after mailing.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
moffanny

I was referring to a traditional IRA, sorry for the lack of precision.

Is there any financial penalty for amending when you end up paying more taxes? Do I need to send a check along with the tax declaration? 

Thank you very much!

@moffanny wrote:

Is there any financial penalty for amending when you end up paying more taxes? Do I need to send a check along with the tax declaration? 

Yes there is.    Tax due was on July 15.    After that the IRS charges interest on tax due ending when they receive your payment sent with the amended return or electronically paid on their website.     The IRS will send a separate bill for the interest after they process the amended return that can take 16 weeks to process.

The sooner you amend and pay, the sooner the interest stops.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies