turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my wife was laid off due to the Covid-19 Pandemic. Does that qualify me, her husband, for the 401 K Care Act; where I am allowed to withdraw without penalties?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

If my wife was laid off due to the Covid-19 Pandemic. Does that qualify me, her husband, for the 401 K Care Act; where I am allowed to withdraw without penalties?

Based on your description, yes. Certain taxpayers are permitted to withdraw up to $100,000 from a retirement plan or IRA for “coronavirus related​ distributions” without incurring the 10% premature distribution penalty.

A coronavirus-related distribution (PDF) includes a distribution:

• Made after Jan. 1, 2020 and before Dec. 31, 2020.
  • To an individual who is diagnosed the with virus SARS-CoV-2 or COVID-19 by a test approved by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
  • To a spouse or dependent of a person diagnosed with such virus by such a test.
  • To persons who experience adverse financial consequences as a result of being quarantined, furloughed or laid off or having work hours reduced due to such virus or disease, being unable to work due to lack of child care due to such virus or disease, closing or reducing hours of a business owned or operated by the individual due to such virus or disease, or other factors as determined by the Secretary of the Treasury.

You can avoid the penalty, but you will still have to pay regular income tax on the distribution. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

As defined in the CARES Act, it appears that the exception applies to distributions from retirement accounts of the individual who was laid off, not to distributions from retirement accounts of that individual's spouse.  Specifically, SEC. 2202(a)(4)(A)(ii)(III) does not mention the individual's spouse. However, the IRS has not yet issued guidance on this and the Act gives the IRS authority to expand the definition.  The exact wording in the Act is:

Hi,

Has anyone confirmed this yet?  My wife has a 20% pay reduction for a few months, so we would like take a 401k withdrawal under the Care Act from my account.

My hours/pay were not affected, but overall we are financially impacted.

I was also trying to find clarity on this:  

"You’ve been financially impacted by other factors determined by the treasury secretary"

But haven't seen what other factors are in scope.

Thanks!

dmertz
Level 15

The IRS has not yet released and expansion of the definition of a qualified individual.  Reduction in pay rate is not presently a qualifying circumstance.

Take the money out of your wife's 401K and you will not have any problem.

Thank you.  We completed the withdrawal from my wife's 401k already, but would like to take a withdrawal from my account as well.

Lindy11

Can EACH spouse withdraw 100k (200k total) if the wife was laid off due to Covid (and having to stay home and take care of 3 kids)  ? 
Income was cut in half. 
Or is it per household 100k? I know it should be last resort but husband may be laid off soon too, 

That is still up in the air.

Please inform on this part of the Cares Act,

dmertz
Level 15

Subsequent to the previous posts in this thread, the IRS expanded the definition of a qualified individual to include the spouse of the individual who was laid off.  This means that as long as they experienced adverse financial consequences of the wife being laid off, the wife is a qualified individual because she was laid off and the husband is also a qualified individual because his wife was laid off.  Each qualified individual can take Coronavirus-Related Distributions totaling up to $100k.  The $100k limit is not a household limit.

The only problem here is that your retirement nest egg is reduced by $200,000.

Presumably you will spend this on swimming pool maintenance and your toilet paper stash.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies