turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

summerhot32
Returning Member

If I'm on Social Security SSI can I get a government check mailed out to me

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you receive only SSI and you didn't file a tax return for 2018 income or 2019 income, you'll have to take steps to ensure the government can find you and pay you.

Those who don't normally file tax returns will have to file a tax return at some point to get the stimulus money (except for Social Security disability recipients). This includes veterans who receive disability compensation or pension and SSI recipients who don't receive any SSDI.

The IRS is expected to release more information soon for veterans and SSI recipients about how to file a simplified tax return for the purpose of getting the stimulus rebate. In the meantime, TurboTax has partnered with the IRS to help individuals like SSI recipients and veterans register for the stimulus payment. You'll need to create an account with TurboTax at its stimulus registration page, but it's free. Once you're logged in, you'll answer a few questions so that TurboTax can determine your filing status, your mailing address, and your direct deposit banking information, if applicable.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you receive only SSI and you didn't file a tax return for 2018 income or 2019 income, you'll have to take steps to ensure the government can find you and pay you.

Those who don't normally file tax returns will have to file a tax return at some point to get the stimulus money (except for Social Security disability recipients). This includes veterans who receive disability compensation or pension and SSI recipients who don't receive any SSDI.

The IRS is expected to release more information soon for veterans and SSI recipients about how to file a simplified tax return for the purpose of getting the stimulus rebate. In the meantime, TurboTax has partnered with the IRS to help individuals like SSI recipients and veterans register for the stimulus payment. You'll need to create an account with TurboTax at its stimulus registration page, but it's free. Once you're logged in, you'll answer a few questions so that TurboTax can determine your filing status, your mailing address, and your direct deposit banking information, if applicable.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies