Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I took distributions from inherited IRA in 2020. Under the cares act disaster relief 3 year rollover rule can I return distributions to the inherited IRA or another IRA?

I know that you had until August 31 2020 to rollover the funds. However TurboTax software is allowing form 8915-E to apply the three year rollover to return the distributions ratably. I didn't know if this was possible or not. Maybe I can complete a rollover under the cares act disaster relief to another IRA account.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I took distributions from inherited IRA in 2020. Under the cares act disaster relief 3 year rollover rule can I return distributions to the inherited IRA or another IRA?

in the case of an inherited IRA, it can only go back to that same IRA account.

you must be affected by COVID in 2020.

Thanks for the response.  I see what you are saying about the rollover to the same account.  However can you still apply the cares act 3 year rollover relief for inherited accounts.  I didn’t see guidance in any irs publications or instructions, however TurboTax software is allowing the rollover.

dmertz
Level 15

The CARES Act does not permit repayment to an inherited IRA of a coronavirus-related distribution back to the inherited IRA.

If you are the surviving spouse of the decedent, the repayment can be made to your own IRA, but not back to the inherited IRA.

If you are a non-spouse beneficiary, no repayment is permitted.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies