Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

k1pridex

I made a non-deductible contribution to my traditional IRA for the 2015 tax year and did not include it in my tax return.

I made a non-deductible contribution to my traditional IRA for the 2015 tax year and did not include it in my tax return. There is no tax impact as it was non-deductible but I would like to keep a record of contribution with IRS. Do I need to amend my tax return or can I simply prepare the form 8606? If so, do I use the form 8606 from the 2015 tax year? And is there a penalty that I would have to pay?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I made a non-deductible contribution to my traditional IRA for the 2015 tax year and did not include it in my tax return.

Yes, yiu are required to file a 2015 8606 reporting the non-deductible contribution.   There is a $50 penalty for a missed 8606 but don't pay it unless the IRS sends a bill.

You can get blank 8606 forms for 2015 here:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f8606--2015.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i8606--2015.pdf

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
k1pridex

Thank you sir! So just a clarification, this isn't considered a tax amendment, correct? So instead of amending the actual tax return from 2015, I would just simply mail in the form 8606 from the 2015 tax year, right? Again, thank you so much for replying. 

No, you did not reported it incorrectly in order to amend, you did not report it at all so there is nothing to amend - you are not changing anything which is what an amendment does. .  You are simply filing an original form late that should have been part of your 2015 tax return.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies