turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tokyo1988

I'f my payor doesn't file 1099 nec but I do,will I still get my tax refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, if you report your income properly and the result is that you are owed a tax refund, then you should still get your refund even if a Form 1099-NEC was not issued. 

If you did not receive a Form 1099-NEC from a payer, but you did have self-employment income, then you should not enter a Form 1099-NEC into your tax return. 

You do need to report the income on Schedule C for self-employment.  You would enter the amount you earned as 'cash' income.  If this results in a refund on your tax return, then you should receive your refund since you have reported your income and any associated expenses.  Be sure that you have your own records to show the amount of income that you received since a Form 1099-NEC was not issued to you.  

Use the following steps to get started with the Schedule C to report your self-employed income:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “schedule c” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to schedule c
  • Click on the blue “Jump to schedule c” link
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, if you report your income properly and the result is that you are owed a tax refund, then you should still get your refund even if a Form 1099-NEC was not issued. 

If you did not receive a Form 1099-NEC from a payer, but you did have self-employment income, then you should not enter a Form 1099-NEC into your tax return. 

You do need to report the income on Schedule C for self-employment.  You would enter the amount you earned as 'cash' income.  If this results in a refund on your tax return, then you should receive your refund since you have reported your income and any associated expenses.  Be sure that you have your own records to show the amount of income that you received since a Form 1099-NEC was not issued to you.  

Use the following steps to get started with the Schedule C to report your self-employed income:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “schedule c” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to schedule c
  • Click on the blue “Jump to schedule c” link
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tokyo1988

Thank you so much for responding! Thanks for breaking it down, I understand now.thanks again! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies