Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gohawks55

I can't find a tin number on this 1099R from vanguard

where is the tin number o my 1099r?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

@ gohawks55 

Are you asking about the Payer's TIN; i.e., Vanguard?

We can't see your 1099-R, so we can't tell you "where" it is on the form, but can tell you a couple of possibilities.    For your security, do NOT post an image in this public Internet forum.

If it's a standard 1099-R using the official IRS form, the Payer's TIN is right under the Payer's name and address.  This is the most common situation.

However, brokers/financial institutions may use their own proprietary form for their 1099's instead of the IRS standard 1099-R.   If it's a non-standard form, look it over carefully.   It may not call it a TIN.   It may label it as the Payer's EIN or "tax number", etc.   If it's a non-standard form and there's any question about it, you'll have to phone Vanguard customer support and ask them to tell you where it is on the form.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

It's the number under PAYER's TIN to your left.  See image

@gohawks55

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This is not what the vanguard form looks like. In fact they don't even number their boxes!

@ dcaponi wrote:

This is not what the vanguard form looks like. In fact they don't even number their boxes!

Are you looking at paperwork that Vanguard specifically calls a "Form 1099-R?"   This is a public user community forum, so we, of course, don't know what you are looking at from Vanguard or what your form looks like, unless someone happens to see this thread who uses Vanguard and knows what you are referring to.

Some institutions use their own non-standard proprietary form for some types of 1099's, but even then it should list the box numbers that go with the figures.    And it should also have the Payer's TIN.     Was there no explanatory statement that came with it?  Phone Vanguard in the morning when they are open for assistance, and ask them to explain your form. 

This is what it looks like for reference:

Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 11.59.36 PM.png

@ dcaponi 

That doesn't look like a 1099-R or even have all of the same info.     It says "Distribution Statement" and appears to have some of their system parameters of a distribution I presume you received.  While it has some entries that has info for their preparation of a 1099-R, it does not appear to be an actual 1099-R.

Are you not finding an actual Form 1099-R in your online Vanguard account and labeled as such?

If not, phone Vanguard tomorrow and ask them how to get a copy of your actual Form 1099-R.   They can also explain that distribution statement.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies