Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pbouma

I bought about 26% of a restaurant towards the end of last year. We agreed to a monthly payment starting in November. Do I need to claim that as income?

Or would this not be considered income until what I put in is paid off?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I bought about 26% of a restaurant towards the end of last year. We agreed to a monthly payment starting in November. Do I need to claim that as income?

A monthly payment for what exactly?  Are you paying for your purchase over time?

pbouma

That is the idea to pay back our up front payment.  My partners indicated they didn't think we needed to pay taxes until the the initial payments were covered.  While they have more experience with businesses, I wanted to try and make sure.  Any advice is always welcome.  Thanks

income from your part ownership is income and you have to report it.

the amount you invested does not matter until you sell your ownership.

How is the restaurant organized?  C Corporation, S Corporation, Partnership?  If it's one of the latter two, you should receive a K-1 with your share of the restaurant's income on it.  This is NOT the same as the payments you receive.

If the payments are repayments of a loan you made, some of it may be interest, in which case you should receive a 1099-INT form. 

What you're being paid for and the restaurant's legal entity status are key here.  You need to talk to the people in charge.

@biglebowski1128 is correct.  I also recommend that you seek out local legal advice.  This might actually be a loan, rather than an investment. Whatever it is, it needs to be in writing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies