turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am showing a social Excess social security and tier 1 RRTA tax withheld on my 1040 but I didn't enter it. Where is this coming from?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I am showing a social Excess social security and tier 1 RRTA tax withheld on my 1040 but I didn't enter it. Where is this coming from?

The most common reason is that you worked multiple jobs, or changed jobs. 

Each employer calculates Social Security independently. If you earned more than $132,900 combined from BOX 3 if all your W-2 you will have overpaid.

This is not a problem.  It will be credited to you on your tax return on line 18 (d) of your Individual Tax Return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I think TurboTax is incorrectly calculating Tier 1 tax. 

We paid the full 8239.79 as required

TurboTax calculated that we should have paid only $0.00 - clearly incorrect

TurboTax says our excess withheld is 8239.79

Please Fix TurboTax!

RAILROADERS:

Just spent an hour and a half on tax support:

If you have excess Tier 1 tax paid because of more than one railroad job, we had to do the following to resolve TurboTax problems with calculating excess Tier 1 Tax and applying the credit to the 1040:

For both W-2s, Make sure you enter RRT1, RRT2 and MED in the same order in box 14 on TurboTax (each box 14 line should be the same on each W-2 (Line one for RRT1, Line 2 RRT2 and Line 3 MED in TurboTax).

After you get all your box 14 items from each W-2 into the proper order on TurboTax, ADD A LINE UNDER THOSE and write "RAILROAD COMPENSATION".  In the $ amount box put your box 1 wages from your W-2 and then select Railroad compensation in the pull down menu.  TurboTax will then correctly add up how much Tier 1 tax is due, then tell you what you properly overpaid, and then put a schedule 3 in your tax forms and give you the proper $ credit to this year's taxes.  You would still have to file a form 843 for excess Tier 2 tax if you paid that.  

We never had to do this in TurboTax before.  I don't know if it is a glitch or a feature, but it is not well done on TurboTax's part.

Hope this helps.  It worked for us.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies