turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to report Re-characterized IRA contributions

In September 2019 I contributed $2K to traditional IRA and $4K to Roth IRA. In March 2020, I re-characterized my 2019-traditional-IRA contributions as Roth contributions. This re-characterization was done before submitting the 2019 tax return, so on 2019 tax return my 2019 contribution was reported as $6K Roth contributions.

In January this year, my custodian issued "2020 form 1099-R": Distribution code mentioned in box 7 is “R”. Per instructions, code R means “Recharacterized IRA contribution made for 2019 and recharacterized in 2020.”

I am preparing my 2020 tax return via TurboTax to file today, Oct 15th. I imported 1099-R into TurboTax, it specifically asked,

"Look at the year on your Form 1099-R. Does it show 2020 or 2021?"

Since the 1099-R says "2020 Form 1099-R", I selected 2020.

TurboTax then tells me "It looks like you may need to Amend your 2019 Return. Here is why: Your 1099-R reports earnings on a contribution you made in 2019. This information needs to go on your 2019 return."

I contacted the person who prepared my 2019 tax return, he says "Those 2020 forms are related to your 2020 tax returns, I don’t believe they will have an impact on your 2019 taxes."

Could you please help me figure out whether I should file this form with 2020 tax return, or should I Amend 2019 return to file this form? Thanks so much for your help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

You don't have to do anything, because you did not take any deduction for Traditional IRA contributions for 2019.

So I just ignore the "2020 Form 1099-R"?

You don't have to do anything about your 2019 tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies