Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year 2020: How do I get past the "Looks like we need more info" screen? I've updated the particular item at least 10 times, but no change.

I've entered my income and expenses for my self-employed business. When I get to the Federal Review section, I am presented with the "Looks like we need more info" screen. I've updated all the items I can and I am still presented with this screen. Nothing I do will resolve the "error."

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
JulieC14
Expert Alumni

Tax Year 2020: How do I get past the "Looks like we need more info" screen? I've updated the particular item at least 10 times, but no change.

That depends.  If you are using TurboTax Online, I would start with closing out of TurboTax then clearing your cache and cookies in your web browser then signing back in.  If you are using Chrome:

1. In your computer, open Chrome.
  2. At the top right, click More .
  3. Click More tools. Clear browsing data.
  4. At the top, choose a time range. To delete everything, select All time.
  5. Next to "Cookies and other site data" and "Cached images and files," check the boxes.
  6. Click Clear data.

Chrome is the recommended browser for TurboTax Online.

The other suggestion I would make is to be sure and scroll to the bottom of the Self Employed screen to be sure you answered the questions for Qualified Business income.  There are a number of sections after you have entered your income and expenses that need to be reviewed and completed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Clearing cache and cookies did not work. 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Looks like we need more info often comes up when questions in some sections at the bottom of the self-employed income and expenses screen have not been accessed and/or answered.

• Click Income & Expenses
  • Edit/Add Self-Employment income and expenses
  • Edit your business
  • Scroll down to Carryovers, limitations, at risk information, etc. Click Start or Edit. Check None of the above or any other applicable boxes in Do you have any of these other business situations? Then continue.
  • Once back on the main screen, go to Qualified Business Income. Click Details. Complete this section.
  • Click Federal Review again.

I already did this - multiple times. Nothing seems to have any effect. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You may have some forms that have not been finalized. Federal form availability Once the IRS releases a form, the program is updated as quickly as possible.

The IRS does not begin accepting returns until February 12 so the IRS has plenty of time to work on the forms, in their opinion.

Otherwise, you can fill this form out for someone to call you. 

sueb123
Returning Member

I am running into this same thing. I've hunted through all the steps and set nothing that I haven't visited/addressed. Any help is much appreciated.

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Can you clarify which screen it takes you back to or highlights on the screen?

@sueb123

sueb123
Returning Member

My problem is exactly as described by initial poster

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

It would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2021" file that is experiencing this issue.

You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information.  If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: 

Go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools. 

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools. 
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent. 
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number. 
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

@sueb123

sueb123
Returning Member

Here's the token info:

A protected copy of your return has been sent.

Your token number is: 985715

Please keep this number for your reference.

Thx

Sue

sueb123
Returning Member

I figured out how to get past this.

I didn't put any miles on my car in 2021 so deleted this business expense but the form was lingering nonetheless (likely brought over from last year).

gentum

THIS! I had a car that was carried over that I was no longer using, as soon as I deleted it, I was able to move on! Look at the items that were carried over that you are no longer using!  Good luck hunting down the single line lol

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies