turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Check this Entry: W-2 form, box 14. My NJ SUI/FLI amount is greater than $35 but the system says it cannot exceed $35. Any ideas on why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Check this Entry: W-2 form, box 14. My NJ SUI/FLI amount is greater than $35 but the system says it cannot exceed $35. Any ideas on why?

FLI (Family Leave Insurance) is capped at $33.50 for the year, but SUI (State Unemployment Insurance) has a maximum contribution of $142.38.  If you have an amount greater than $35 in the box, there is a good chance that your amounts are being combined, so you may need to enter the amounts as separate line items in TurboTax to pass the diagnostic.  Please see this NJ website that explains the contribution limits for 2017:  NJ Division of Taxation - NJ Income Tax - Other Credits (UI/DI/FLI)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

12 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

FLI (Family Leave Insurance) is capped at $33.50 for the year, but SUI (State Unemployment Insurance) has a maximum contribution of $142.38.  If you have an amount greater than $35 in the box, there is a good chance that your amounts are being combined, so you may need to enter the amounts as separate line items in TurboTax to pass the diagnostic.  Please see this NJ website that explains the contribution limits for 2017:  NJ Division of Taxation - NJ Income Tax - Other Credits (UI/DI/FLI)

Peruse the fine print on your W-2 you should find it broken out.
galootey

Make sure form NJ-2450T is filed so you will get a refund on the excess contribution
donzie1

If the FLI cap is $29., and my employer added the SUI/FLI together in line 14, 

can I just seperate them myslf by deducting the 29. from the total?

Or do I have to contact the employer to get the exact numbers?

Thank you.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

I recommend contacting your employer for the breakdown so you have the exact amounts or even to confirm how you are going to treat the amounts.  This will eliminate your chances of getting any sort of adjustment to your return in the future.

I am running into a issue for Box 14: FLI. It is capped at $29 in NJ as per TurboTax  but my W2 shows $30.33. 

TurboTax charged me for state e-file and then came up with validation.  Now I am unable to efile with NJ unless I fix this. 

How do I proceed?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Hmmn, according to this NJ website, the limit for 2019 is $27.52. Does TurboTax really say "$29"?

Where are you getting this message? When you enter the W-2? When you do the state interview? I the state Review? When you try to e-file? 

Thanks.

Getting the issue when I am about to e-file. W-2 was imported without any issues.

Turbo Tax says - New Jersey FLI cannot be greater than $29.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

As we can see here on this New Jersey webpage (look at the top pf page 2), the maximum NJ FLI is $30.03, like what you have printed on your W-2.

It looks like you have choices:

1. Print and mail your New Jersey return, or

2. Change the 30.03 to 29 and e-file it.

In case #2, you will lose that $1 deduction on Schedule A; however, as you are probably aware, you may not have gotten that deduction anyway, between needed to have your itemized deductions exceed your Standard Deduction and the $10,000 cap on state and local taxes. Your choice.

Thanks so much Bill. I went with Option #2.

jkim9

You have mentioned maximum amount. Do you know if turbo tax will correct maximum amount for year 2020? If so, when? @DanielV01 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Once the state finalizes the form, the program can be updated.  You can check State form availability. It looks like it may be January 28.  You may also like New Jersey (NJ) information.

The IRS does not begin accepting returns until February 12 and many states will not start until then.

@jkim9

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies