Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Fidelity insisted on taking out an RMD before rolling my 401k over to an IRA. I added the 1099-R in TT and clicked "Yes, some or all of this withdrawal was an RMD" and "All of this distribution was an RMD". But TT has it as pension income not RMD.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Fidelity insisted on taking out an RMD before rolling my 401k over to an IRA. I added the 1099-R in TT and clicked "Yes, some or all of this withdrawal was an RMD" and "All of this distribution was an RMD". But TT has it as pension income not RMD.

Fidelity insisted on you taking an RMD and that RMD is pension income.

if there is any more 401k money removed above that amount you could roll that part into an IRA.

Note: you had to do it within 60 days or have Fidelity do it for your immediately.

dmertz
Level 15

Yes, a distribution from a 401(k) gets included with pension income on Form 1040 lines 5a and 5b.  It seems likely that the RMD distribution was reported on a separate code 7 Form 1099-R from the one reporting the rollover (code G for a direct rollover) and, if so, the entire code 7 amount was RMD (meaning it was not eligible for rollover). 

Thanks for your reply. Yes, there is a separate 1099-R for the RMD. It's pension income because it was taken from the 401k before rollover to IRA? 

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Yes, it is listed under pension distribution because it was a 401k rollover to a traditional IRA. The distribution will be listed on 5a but the rollover will not be taxable on line 5b. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

Yes, distributions from a 401(k), both the RMD distribution and the distribution that was rolled over, are to be reported on lines 5a and 5b for pensions.  Lines 5a and 5b are for anything that is not a traditional or Roth IRA.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies