Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Executor Fee Income

I received a portion of the executor fee in 2023 and will receive the rest in 2024.  Do I report what I rec'd in 2023 on this year's return and if so where do I report it?  I did not receive a 1099.  

Also, I heard that executor fees are not taxable unless they exceed the estimated value of your time spent on the job.  I've kept good records of the hours I spent doing executor work, can I reduce the taxable amount with those records?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Executor Fee Income

Use this IRS tool to determine if your executor fees are taxable or not. If some of all are taxable, report that here.

1. Log into your account
  2. Select Wages and income>other income
  3. Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099>start
  4. Scroll to the bottom of the page to Other Reportable Income
  5. Other taxable income, answer yes
  6. Then give a brief description of the income and the amount listed.  Here the description would be executor fees.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Executor Fee Income

Thanks, that answered both of my questions.  I don't know why but there was a comment on a website that said you only have to pay tax on the portion of the executor fee that exceeds the hours you actually spend working on the estate.  That may be for paid executors?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Executor Fee Income

I do not see that reference anywhere on the IRS websites or in the tool. Any tax advice given must first be addressed in an IRS publication or in actual case files.  I did see the reference you are referring to in the following website but this not an authoritative reference and I can't find any basis for it in any IRS documents. 

Now, state laws can vary from state to state and it could be possible that it isn't taxable in the state where you live.

simonsaba
Returning Member

Executor Fee Income

How do you enter this information in the TurboTax Deluxe desktop version? I tried going directly to Forms -> Schedule 1 Line Z where the IRS says that this information should be entered but was unable to enter the information by clicking into the appropriate fields. In EasyStep, there is no Other Reportable Income link.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Executor Fee Income

In Easy Step mode, on the Wages & Income listing of topics, scroll all the way to the bottom, to 'Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C'.

On the next screen, again scroll all the way down to 'Other Reportable Income'.

The next screen titled 'Other Taxable Income' gives a space for a description of the income, and amount. 

@simonsaba 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies