turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Employer contributions to 401k plan are not reported on the employees w-2, correct.

employer included both taxpayers contributions and the employer contributions on line 12 under code D  this not correct right

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Employer contributions to 401k plan are not reported on the employees w-2, correct.

Only your elective deferrals to the 401(k) are to be reported with code D in box 12 of your W-2.  Employer matching or profit sharing contributions are not to be reported on your W-2.  Your employer should not be treating as elective deferrals any amount that you did not ask to be deferred from your paycheck.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
dmertz
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Only your elective deferrals to the 401(k) are to be reported with code D in box 12 of your W-2.  Employer matching or profit sharing contributions are not to be reported on your W-2.  Your employer should not be treating as elective deferrals any amount that you did not ask to be deferred from your paycheck.

vtichy

I have solo 401k contribution that I include on my W2.  I understand employer profit sharing contribution is not included on W2.  That being said, do we deduct the employer share on the personal income tax form, or on the business form.  I believe it would be the business form, but checking to be sure.  Thanks.

dmertz
Level 15

vtichy, the fact that you receive a W-2 from the company implies that you have an S corp.  The deduction for the employer contribution is taken on the S corp's tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies