turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

keapaws

Does anyone else have this- an error: Excess employer contribution to my HSA. Called the benefits line and they said this is a Turbo Tax error that has done this before.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

Does anyone else have this- an error: Excess employer contribution to my HSA. Called the benefits line and they said this is a Turbo Tax error that has done this before.

This can happen if the taxpayer makes incorrect entries into TurboTax.

One common way it happens is that the taxpayer had HSA contributions reported in box 12 on the W-2 with a code of G, and also enters the payroll deduction portion of that in the second line on the screen "Let's enter [name]'s HSA contributions" under the mistaken belief that payroll deductions for the HSA are "personal" contributions - they are not considered that by the IRS.

I understand that the following list is long, but these are all reasons that taxpayers get excess contribution messages.

If you find that your situation is not one of these cases, then please make a new post in which you indicate:

• your HDHP coverage and for how many months
  • your spouse's HDHP coverage and for how many months
  • your HSA contributions (both through your employer and directly to the HSA)
  • your spouse's HSA contributions (both through your spouse's employer and directly to the HSA)
  • the amount of the excess
  • whether or not either of you went on Medicare and what month
  • whether or not (and the amount) of carryover of excess contributions from 2018 for either of you

***main answer***

One of the purposes of the HSA interview is to determine your annual HSA contribution limit.

As you probably know, the maximum limits in 2019 are:

• $3,500 - individual with self-coverage
  • $7,000 - individual with family coverage
  • If the HSA owner is 55 or older, then you add $1,000 to these amounts.

However, these limits assume that you were in an HSA all year. If you left the HSA during the year or started Medicare or had one of a number of change events, then the limit is reduced.

There are several major culprits for excess contributions (other than just actually contributing more than the limit).

First, if you did not complete the HSA interview - that is, go all the way until you are returned to the "Your Tax Breaks" page - the limit still might be set to zero, causes a misleading excess contribution message.

There are questions all the way to the end of the interview that affect the annual contribution limit.

Second, it is not unusual for taxpayers to accidentally duplicate their contributions by mistakenly entering what they perceive to be "their" contributions into the second line on the "Let's enter your HSA contributions" screen.

Normally, any employee who made contributions to his/her HSA through a payroll deduction plan has the contributions included in the amount with code "W" in box 12 on the W-2. This is on the first line on this screen. Don't enter the code W amount anywhere on the return other than on the W-2 page.

Third, if you weren't in HDHP coverage all 12 months, then the annual contribution limit is reduced on a per month ratio. NOTE, this means that you have to indicate when and under what type of HDHP plan you had. Be sure to answer the questions on the screen entitled "Was [name] covered by a High Deductible Health Plan in 2019?".

Fourth, if you had a carryover of excess contributions from 2018, then this carryover is applied to 2019 as a personal contribution, which could cause an excess condition in 2019 as well. But note: if you had an excess contribution in 2018 but cured it by withdrawing the excess in early 2018, then do NOT report an "overfunding" on your 2018 return.

Fifth, the Family limit ($7,000) is for the aggregate of contributions by both taxpayers, even if both taxpayers have their own HSAs. That is, one taxpayer can’t contribute $7,000 to his/her HSA and the other contribute $3,500 to the other HSA – the $7,000  limit applies to the aggregate of all HSA contributions credited to the family (in this case, the excess contributions would be $3,500).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

"HSA contributions reported in box 12 on the W-2 with a code of G"

Please note that this is a typo, it should read "HSA contributions reported in box 12 on the W-2 with a code of W".

TI9

MARCH 2019 WE WENT FROM AN HDHP I WAS CARRYING TO A NON HDHP MY WIFE WAS ELIGIBLE FOR AFTER SHE RETIRED. I CEASED CONTRIBUTING TO MY HSA ACCOUNT AT THAT TIME. ON JANUARY 1 2019 MY EMPLOYER CONTRIBUTED 2500 TO MY HSA. I WAS ALSO PUTTING IN THE MAX AMOUNT. SOMEWHERE AROUND 100 PER WEEK. SINCE I WAS ONLY ELEIGIBLE TO CONTRIBUTE THROUGH FEBRUARY THE ACCOUNT WAS OVERFUNDED BY ABOUT 1800. I REALIZED THE ERROR AND WITHDREW THE EXCESS AND PAID THE TAXES ON IT IN 2019.

2020 TURBOTAX HOME AND BUSINESS IS ASSIGNING THE AMOUNT I PUT INTO MY 401K - BOX 12 CODE AA 1209.38 - AS CONTRIBUTIONS TO HSA . NO MATTER WHAT I DO THE PROGRAM IS TELLING ME I'VE OVERFUNDED THE HSA BY 1209 AND HAVE TO PAY TAXES ON IT PLUS 6% PENALTY. THE ACCOUNT HAS BEEN CONSUMED AND WAS CLOSED DURING 2020.

PLEASE ADVISE.

THANKS!

TI9

I DID NOT MAKE ANY HSA CONTRIBUTIONS DURING 2020. TURBOTAX IS COUNTING MY 401K CONTRIBUTIONS AS AN HSA CONTRIBUTION

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

The way this works is this:

Any HSA contributions made by your employer or through your employer by means of payroll deduction) are removed from Wages in boxes 1, 3, and 5 on your W-2 before your W-2 is printed. This means that your entire contribution is deducted right up front.

But excess contributions are not allowed to be deducted, so the excess amount is added back to line 8 of Schedule 1 (1040) automatically.

Did you withdraw the excess and the earnings before July 15, 2020? If so, then you did not carry over the excess and should not have paid the 6% penalty.

Did you have a form 5329 on your 2019 return? Did you have an amount on line 49 of the 5329?

In the HSA interview, did you answer "Yes" when you were asked if you overfunded your HSA in 2019? If you withdrew the entire excess by July 15, 2020, then you "cured" the excess and should answer "No". The question doesn't want to know if you had an excess but only if you carried it over to 2020.

"2020 TURBOTAX HOME AND BUSINESS IS ASSIGNING THE AMOUNT I PUT INTO MY 401K - BOX 12 CODE AA 1209.38 - AS CONTRIBUTIONS TO HSA ."

I have never seen TurboTax do this - something else must be happening.

So come back and tell us when you withdrew the excess, because your story is missing something.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies