turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rschaffer

Do I have to take a RMD from my civil service pension?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
macuser_22
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Virtually all pension plans in existence today fall under section 401 of the tax code and they all require RMD's after age 70 1/2.  The question is just to be sure that the requirement was met.  If you receive periodic (monthly) payments from any pension plan you can be assured that the custodian of the plan is meeting the requirements so you can safely answer "yes" to the question.

The answer to the question does not go on your tax return, it is simply to make sure you do not owe any penalty for not taking the RMD.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302117">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302117</a>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

No, you don't. 

I am assuming you have passed the age of 70 1/2, which is the required age for the required minimum distributions.

All retirement accounts, even pensions, must meet the RMD requirements.

However, the way the pension plans meet the RMD requirements is by creating an annuity paid periodically (in your case monthly.  Therefore, you may simply select "yes" to the RMD question (Was this withdrawal RMD and all of this was RMD).  You will also be asked if the amount reported is paid periodically in equal amounts.  By selecting "yes" the RMD requirements are met and you may continue with the tax preparation.

This answer needs a bit more clarification.  (I'm also a retired fed with a 1099 from the Office of Personnel Mgt.)  TT first asks "Was this withdrawal an RMD?" to which the answer is yes.  It then asks "Tell us how much..." The 2 choices are "All..." or "Part..."  Which is the correct answer?

All is the correct answer for a pension withdrawal.
macuser_22
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Virtually all pension plans in existence today fall under section 401 of the tax code and they all require RMD's after age 70 1/2.  The question is just to be sure that the requirement was met.  If you receive periodic (monthly) payments from any pension plan you can be assured that the custodian of the plan is meeting the requirements so you can safely answer "yes" to the question.

The answer to the question does not go on your tax return, it is simply to make sure you do not owe any penalty for not taking the RMD.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302117">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302117</a>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Paul57
Returning Member

I retired under CSRA am I required to take an RMD?  I receive monthly annuity payments.

RobertG
Expert Alumni

No, if you are retired under CSRS your RMD is covered by your pension payments.

Your pension payments are your RMD.

See macuser_22 above.

@Paul57

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies