turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Contributed $7000 to my Roth IRA...I am over 50, but I get an "error" message from the Contribution Worksheet:Line 7c, Taxpayer should not be greater than $6500.

I thought one could contribute $7000 as a "catch up contribution"
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Contributed $7000 to my Roth IRA...I am over 50, but I get an "error" message from the Contribution Worksheet:Line 7c, Taxpayer should not be greater than $6500.

For the tax year 2021, if you are age 50 or older as of the last day of the tax year, then your contribution limit is up to $7000 instead of $6000 for IRA contributions, assuming other qualifications such as income limits have been met.

Try deleting your contribution and entering the information again to see if anything changes.  

If you do meet the age qualification and you are working on a 2021 tax return, please respond back if the error message persists.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deleted the $7000 contribution and saved and exited Turbo Tax.

Signed back into Turbo Tax and re-entered the $7000 for a Roth 401k contribution.

Still get the error as something I need to review.

Roth Ira Contribution.jpg

Also check your Date of Birth in the Personal Info section. 

Your question says Roth IRA, but your screenshot post shows Roth 401(k).  Please clarify. 

it is correct...1954

That is the only choice Turbo Tax gave me as I am self employed...is there a difference?

Enter Roth.jpg

I found my mistake...there was a $7000 entry for a Roth 401k...thanks!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies