turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lmallia1

Where do i report any canadian social security and canadian pension benefits in my return as they are not registered retirement savings or registered retirement income ?

Was not able to enter benefits from my Canadian Social Security and my Canadian Old age Pension in the Canadian Registered Pension Income section as that section is for Registered Pension Plans only.

Was not able to enter benefits from my Canadian Social Security and my Canadian Old age Pension in the Social Security (SSA_1099) section as that section only allows for one entry which i used for my U.S. Social Security benefits.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Where do i report any canadian social security and canadian pension benefits in my return as they are not registered retirement savings or registered retirement income ?

The Canadian Social Security and Old Age Pension income is entered in the section for US Social Security benefits using box 5 for Total Net Benefits.
Can you not access that section of the program?
lmallia1

box 5 is where I entered my SSA-1099 benefits. Do I add my Canadian benefit to my U.S. benefit?

Yes, add the amounts together and enter the total in box 5.
lmallia1

Thank you, Greatly appreciated

Answered in comments.

This year (2019)when we get to our state return (California) do we have to enter that Canadian pension in again as "other income" or does Turbo tax do it automatically. Last year (2018I think it didnt transfer  and we had to add it in again in the interview.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies