Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

California state form won't accept $0 for Social Security benefits from federal 1040 lines 5a and 5b. I don't receive any Social security benefits and can't enter 0

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

California state form won't accept $0 for Social Security benefits from federal 1040 lines 5a and 5b. I don't receive any Social security benefits and can't enter 0

If you started the information you may need to delete the form from your return.

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  4. Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No, this didn't help and I had previously deleted the Social Security benefits form in the federal return before I emailed TT.

I never entered zeros for Social Security benefits in the beginning and even tried to enter all $0 on the Social Security benefits form before I finally deleted the form. HOWEVER,  $0 shows up in line 5a of the California 540 info sheet and doesn't carry the $0 over to line 5b. Then the state form won't pass the final review to allow e-filing.

I already e-filed my federal return and paid for Cal state return to be e-filed. I want a refund of my state e-filing fee and I will just print and mail my return to the state of California with the written zero.

However, Turbo Tax needs to fix this form issue as it can't be unique to me.

Thank you, Elizabeth Hagman

I am having the same issue. Tried altering form and get error message on state but fed is fine.

I'm having this problem as well and I already paid to efile.  How do I fix this?  I need to submit ASAP.

What a hell? I have same issue and the "fix" they entered here make no sense !!! 

HOW CAN I FILE MY CA RETURN THAT I PAID FOR IT ???

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies