turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CBurke2020
Returning Member

Box 2a of OMB 1099-R

I can't find the answer to my question in the discussion forum.

Box 2a. of Form 1099-R is marked as "unknown" from the Statement of Annuity Paid.  The form was issued by the Office of Personnel Management.  There is no Box 2b.  This is unrelated to CSA or death.  The distribution is related to civilian work for the federal government.

What is the taxable amount?  How should I answer the questions after I enter the amounts actually contained in my 1099-R?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Box 2a of OMB 1099-R

Is this your first year to receive a pension?   If not how did you do it last year?   You shoukd use the same method as was used in the past.  If you chose the box 2a method then the box 1 will be the taxable amount.

The taxable amount in box 2a is usually the box 1 amount unless you have after-tax contributions in the retirement plan and use the simplified method. If this is NOT the first year of receiving payments, then you should use the same method that was used last year - either the box 1 amount or the simplified method, using the carry forward simplified information from last year.

If box 2a is blank or UNKNOWN then there should be amount in box 9b to use with the simplified method. If no amount in 9b then contact OPM to find the account "basis".

Enter a 1099-R here:

Federal Taxes,
Wages & Income
I’ll choose what I work on (if that screen comes up),
Retirement Plans & Social Security,
IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).

OR Use the "Tools" menu (if online version under My Account) and then "Search Topics" for "1099-R" which will take you to the same place.

Be sure to choose which spouse the 1099-R is for if this is a joint tax return.
Be sure to pick the correct 1099-R type: Standard 1099-R, CSA-1099-R, CSF-1099-R, RRB-1099-R.

[NOTE: When you get to the "Your 1099-R Entries" screen where you can add another 1099-R, use "continue" to keep going as there are additional interview questions after that screen in most cases. You can always return as shown above.]

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Box 2a of OMB 1099-R

Is this your first year to receive a pension?   If not how did you do it last year?   You shoukd use the same method as was used in the past.  If you chose the box 2a method then the box 1 will be the taxable amount.

The taxable amount in box 2a is usually the box 1 amount unless you have after-tax contributions in the retirement plan and use the simplified method. If this is NOT the first year of receiving payments, then you should use the same method that was used last year - either the box 1 amount or the simplified method, using the carry forward simplified information from last year.

If box 2a is blank or UNKNOWN then there should be amount in box 9b to use with the simplified method. If no amount in 9b then contact OPM to find the account "basis".

Enter a 1099-R here:

Federal Taxes,
Wages & Income
I’ll choose what I work on (if that screen comes up),
Retirement Plans & Social Security,
IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).

OR Use the "Tools" menu (if online version under My Account) and then "Search Topics" for "1099-R" which will take you to the same place.

Be sure to choose which spouse the 1099-R is for if this is a joint tax return.
Be sure to pick the correct 1099-R type: Standard 1099-R, CSA-1099-R, CSF-1099-R, RRB-1099-R.

[NOTE: When you get to the "Your 1099-R Entries" screen where you can add another 1099-R, use "continue" to keep going as there are additional interview questions after that screen in most cases. You can always return as shown above.]

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
CBurke2020
Returning Member

Box 2a of OMB 1099-R

Thanks for the help. This is my first year helping my father with his taxes.  I found a little more about his prior year taxes after posting my question.  I think I was able to wrap this section up using that plus your advice.  Thank you.

Box 2a of OMB 1099-R

I never understand how to deal with that Box 2A when the government says Unknown. Why don't they just figure it out every year? They have all the data for anyone filling out forms after the first year.Why can't TurboTax explain it better. I've been doing this for twently years and this question always trips me up.

Box 2a of OMB 1099-R

@dguerr wrote:

I never understand how to deal with that Box 2A when the government says Unknown. Why don't they just figure it out every year? They have all the data for anyone filling out forms after the first year.Why can't TurboTax explain it better. I've been doing this for twently years and this question always trips me up.

What method did you use last year?    The box 2a method (meaning that ALL of box 1 was taxable) of the simplified method that used the simplified method worksheets?    If the simplified method then you need the 2019 numbers from the 2019 simplified worksheet (the simplified method reduced the tax based on your own prior contributions - usually in box 9b).    The same method must be used every year after the first year of the distribution.

If you do not know then  I believe that OPM has a retirement services dept. that can help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies