turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

As executor do I have to file 1099's to the beneficiaries for distributions they received from the estate?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

As executor do I have to file 1099's to the beneficiaries for distributions they received from the estate?

@saviorconnection , if the distributed amount is purely from the estate as originally constituted ( at the death of the decedent ) then  NO 1099 is required. However, if the Estate had income from those  original assets  ( not from sale / exchange thereof ), then those gains/incomes  are taxed either at the Estate level ( generally true) or can be passed on to the beneficiaries  ( like a pass through ) -- in such a case a K-1  is more appropriate  but even 1099 - MISC may be used  ( not 1099-NEC though )  .   There are other ands / ifs and buts --- we need more details as to what type of assets are you talking about

Thanks for your response.  Half the beneficiaries received a combination of cash, vehicle & personal assets; the other half received real estate and much smaller amount of cash.   Does this help?  

PS... the estate had no income.  Just the original assets that were distributed.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@saviorconnection , no 1099s needed because there were no earnings distributed.  However, if the Estate was registered with the IRS, you have file a return ( Using TurboTax Business ) as a final return showing all the assets and distributions thereof.  If you did not register ( i.e. get an EIN  ) for the  estate/trust, then there is nothing to report.

Hope this helps

pk

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies