Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dzpark

Am I considered covered by a retirement plan at work if I'm not covered part of the year, including tax year end?

Am I considered covered by a retirement plan at work if I retired during the year and the plan no longer applies at year end?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Am I considered covered by a retirement plan at work if I'm not covered part of the year, including tax year end?

Yes.

The IRS considers you covered by an employer's plan if you were covered at any time during the tax year.

According to the IRS:

"You’re covered by an employer retirement plan for a tax year if your employer (or your spouse’s employer) has a:

• Defined contribution plan (profit-sharing, 401(k), stock bonus and money purchase pension plan) and any contributions or forfeitures were allocated to your account for the plan year ending with or within the tax year;
  • IRA-based plan (SEP, SARSEP or SIMPLE IRA plan) and you had an amount contributed to your IRA for the plan year that ends with or within the tax year; or
  • Defined benefit plan (pension plan that pays a retirement benefit spelled out in the plan) and you are eligible to participate for the plan year ending with or within the tax year."

CLICK HERE for IRS retirement plan coverage information

mg39
Level 1

Am I still considered covered by a retirement plan through my employer if my employer contributes to a SEP but I have not made a contributions to the SEP from my payroll?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Yes.  Also the retirement plan box should be checked on your W2 in box 13.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What if box 13 is checked and I did not contribute nor my employer. Can I still deduct an IRA contribution?

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

According to the IRS you may not be able to deduct all of your traditional IRA contributions if you or your spouse participates in another retirement plan at work (please see IRS Retirement Topics - IRA Contribution Limits for details). Therefore, if you did not participate all year then you will be able to deduct all of your traditional IRA contribution.

If neither you nor your employer contributed to the 401k then you might want to ask why the retirement plan in box 13 is checked.

@szie21707

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies