turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

antfig

401k roll over

I took a distribution from pre-tax money in my 401k in December 2020.  The money was sent directly to a trustee to open an IRA but the IRA was not opened until January 2021.  Are there any tax implications for 2020? Do I need to file anything about the transfer with my 2020 tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

401k roll over

Yes.  You must report the 1090-R for the distribution.    A code G in box 7 is automatically a rollover.  Say no to the two Roth questions and then it is automatically a rollover to a Traditional IRA.

That it spanned years is immaterial.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
antfig

401k roll over

Thanks for the information.

mabugglin

401k roll over

I have a 401K rollover and have received a 1099R.  This was rolled over into an IRA.  No tax consequences.  However, I have to report the amount on the 1099R with code G, yet the amount shows on my taxes as income.  Why?

401k roll over

It will show as income on the summary screen which shows gross income, not taxable income.

The IRS requires reporting all income on a *income* tax return - taxable and not-taxable.

The income will be reported on line 4a(for IRA) or 5a and 4b(for IRA) and 5b on the 1040 form with the word “ROLLOVER” next to it if it was a rollover.

The taxable amount will go on the 1040 line 4b or 5b. In the case of a rollover, that will be zero.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
lpstalec

401k roll over

will this reported, non taxable, income effect my stimulus check?

401k roll over

A non-taxable rollover will have not affect.

PattiF
Expert Alumni

401k roll over

No, a retirement roll over will not affect your income for being eligible for the stimulus check.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies