Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

401k overcontribution - amended W2

Hi,

Due to having two employers I overcontributed to 401k. I found out and just requested to correct the distribution. My employer told me that I will receive it will be distributed back, that I will receive 1099R next year, and that they will not issue an amended W2 since no errors were made. All web-sites suggest that I am supposed to receive an amended W2. Can you please verify? Am I supposed to get a corrected W2? If not, how do I report that the excess distribution was done before April 15th and avoid double taxation? thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Most times employers will issue a corrected W-2. Some will not, due to the cost. It sounds like your employer is in the latter group.

Regardless, file your taxes correctly, meaning (1) add back the excess 401(k) amount because it was deducted from your wages as a pre-tax deduction and (2) correct W-2 Box 12 Code D amount to show there is no excess contribution (because you fixed it).

Awesome Tax Expert @MinhT1 explains how in Excess 401K contribution and corrected W-2c form

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Most times employers will issue a corrected W-2. Some will not, due to the cost. It sounds like your employer is in the latter group.

Regardless, file your taxes correctly, meaning (1) add back the excess 401(k) amount because it was deducted from your wages as a pre-tax deduction and (2) correct W-2 Box 12 Code D amount to show there is no excess contribution (because you fixed it).

Awesome Tax Expert @MinhT1 explains how in Excess 401K contribution and corrected W-2c form

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. Very much appreciate you taking time to explain.

Just contacted them again and they told me that because money are not coming from the company, but from Fidelity which is managing the account, they can not issue W2.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

In this case, you will need to adjust your tax return for the excess contributions returned in 2021 from Fidelity.

To do this in TurboTax, follow these steps from @MinhT1, reposted here: 

1. In the Jobs(W-2) section of Income & Wages, adjust Box 12 to the corrected amount of the 401(k) contribution maximum taking into consideration your second W-2.
  2. Next, scroll down to Less Common Income and Show More.
  3. Select Miscellaneous Income and click Start
  4. Select Other income not already reported on a Form W-2 or Form 1099 and click on Start
  5. At Did you receive any other wages? select Yes.
  6. Click through the questions till you get to Any Other Earned Income.
  7. Answer Yes to Did you earn any other wages?
  8. Indicate Other as Source of Other Earned Income and click Continue
  9. For the description enter "2020 Excess 401K Deferrals" and click on Done.

In 2021, the 1099-R will be issued for any earnings that were made on the excess contributions. This will be reported in the 2021 return. For more information, see: 2020 Publication 525: Taxable and Nontaxable Income page 11, middle column.

[Edited 04/17/2021 | 1:11 PM PST]

@orangelena

Thank you.

I have a few follow up questions:

- Why should it say "For the description enter "2019 Excess 401K Deferrals" and click on Done." if the excess of contribution happened in 2020? Also, I received back the excess contribution in 2021, should it still be 2020 Other income?

- The excess returned to me was lower, than originally contributed, because the stock went down. So online it is reported as partially "withdrawn" (X), and partially "change in market value" (Y). So in my manually corrected w2 (my employer is not sending me a new one) I will adjust 401k contribution substracting X and Y, and in the Excess contribution I received back I will state X. Is it correct?

- TurboTax suggests I also fill in 1099R on my own (Fidelity is not sending me a new one till the next year). But your steps do not suggest it. What am I missing?

THANK YOU

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

1. You are correct, the description should be 2020 Excess 401k Deferrals.
  2. I received back the excess contribution in 2021, should it still be 2020 Other income?: See 2020 Publication 525: Taxable and Nontaxable Income, page 10 and 11. Yes, it should still be in 2020 Other income.
  3. No, report the full amount of the distribution. You will capture the loss in 2021.
  4. It depends. If it was not issued, it cannot be included. The excess deferral is added to your wages in 2020. 

@orangelena

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies