Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099R

I withdrew $23,000 from my retirement account which i then rolled over half of it within the time limit. My 1099 R came through as the entire $23000. Form 5498 not being issued until Aug 31. Should I file an extension until 5498 is issued or file with the correct amounts on the return now.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1099R

No you don't need to wait for the 5498.  Just enter the 1099R and answer the follow up questions.

View solution in original post

dmertz
Level 15

1099R

There is no need to wait for Form 5498 if you know the amount rolled over.  Enter the Form 1099-R as received, indicate that you moved the money to another retirement account, then indicate the amount rolled over.  TurboTax will include the entire gross distribution on Form 1040 line 4a (if the distribution was from an IRA) or line 4c (if the distribution was from a qualified retirement plan), but include on line 4b or 4d, respectively, only the portion not rolled over.  TurboTax will also include the word ROLLOVER next to the line.

Of course if you are unsure of the amount rolled over, you could request a filing extension by July 15 and wait for the Form 5498 to be sure you are entering the correct amount as the amount rolled over.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

1099R

No you don't need to wait for the 5498.  Just enter the 1099R and answer the follow up questions.

dmertz
Level 15

1099R

There is no need to wait for Form 5498 if you know the amount rolled over.  Enter the Form 1099-R as received, indicate that you moved the money to another retirement account, then indicate the amount rolled over.  TurboTax will include the entire gross distribution on Form 1040 line 4a (if the distribution was from an IRA) or line 4c (if the distribution was from a qualified retirement plan), but include on line 4b or 4d, respectively, only the portion not rolled over.  TurboTax will also include the word ROLLOVER next to the line.

Of course if you are unsure of the amount rolled over, you could request a filing extension by July 15 and wait for the Form 5498 to be sure you are entering the correct amount as the amount rolled over.

1099R

Thank you so much, that was what I was hoping for!!

1099R

Thank you so much for the help. Made my life a lot easier!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies