Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1099r inheritance RMD

FYI -  If you edit or review a 1099R it does not keep your answers from before but resets them to the defaults. Then you have to go through and answer them all again.   So be sure to go all the way to the end of the 1099R section.  They are right unless you go back.

1099r inheritance RMD

Each time, I kept going until the end. Still, this "disaster" related distribution remained. In fact, I've never had disaster claim. You mentioned ".... it does not keep your answers from before but resets them to the defaults". I wonder what the purpose of this design is? Why some fields kept my previous selection but some, like this one won't?  Imagine, one wants to review answers but once click it, all previous answers were removed, how can he/she review it?

After editing, I tried close down the Turbotax (save the changes) then restarted it. The form 8915-F is still there. Even this form should be part of my return, for this un-editable erroneous form, how may I fix it? I am totally blocked. 

Would you please discuss the matter with your software engineer to see if it's potential bug? My suggestion is making the form editable and removable as form 4979. 

1099r inheritance RMD

May I hear any update? All I needed is to remove the error caused by the form 8915F that blocked me to review and submit my return.  If the form is not editable, AND your software insisted using your default answer on my RMD distribution a disaster related then what is a solution to fix my issue? Should I manually fill my return, start over? I need to get it done asap. Thanks!

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

1099r inheritance RMD

If you have already entered your 1099-R prior to the updated form 8915-F, you may have to delete the 8915-F form and distribution and re-enter the form.  Follow these steps to re-enter the distribution:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select "Tax Tools."
  3. Click "Tools."
  4. In the pop-up window Tool Center, select "Delete a form."
  5. Select "Delete" next to "Form 8915-F" and "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" and follow the instructions.
  6. Click on the "Search" on the top and type “1099-R.”  
  7. Click on “Jump to 1099-R.” 
  8. If you do not have any 2022 1099-R, answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2022?" (If you have any other 1099-R, then enter all 1099-R and after entering your last 1099-R, click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info​​​​​​​” screen)
  9. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2022?" screen
  10. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?"
  11. Check the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020, check here" and enter your information.

@lwang1 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1099r inheritance RMD

Hi,

Thanks for response! Are you using online version of the software? I am using CD Turbotax and I don't see how I can do it. I replied your expert JulieS on 3/27 with a screenshot. What I see is that the menu for Tools shows only viewing the return, e.g. my tax data, summary, etc. The Edit menu has one called "delete table row". Unfortunately, nothing is clickable there, it's just a space holder. 

By the way, I didn't ever create 8915F form but entered several 1099-Rs. Since some of my answers were not saved, the Turbotax used the "default value" in the form with Xs for disaster in 2020 and 2022. 

Why the form 4797 was editable but 8915? Why some fields save selections but others? Inconsistent behaviors by design or bug?

JulieS
Expert Alumni

1099r inheritance RMD

Yes, the procedure is different in the Desktop version of the software. This is how to delete Form 8915-F in TurboTax Desktop:

1. Click Forms toward the upper right corner. 
  2. Find Form 8915-F on the list on the left.
  3. Highlight it, then click Delete in the lower left corner of the reading pane.
  4. Click on Step by Step in the upper right corner to return to the interview.

1099r inheritance RMD

Wow, I didn't notice the bottom buttons that were covered by my task bar. Great, all done. Thank you very much for my tedious questions!

1099r inheritance RMD

Hmm.... I acted too quickly. I still need some help. For some reason, the form can't be deleted. After opening the form, I clicked the Delete button, selected Yes on the popup "Are you sure you want to delete form 8915F-T..." Nothing happened except the screen opened another form. The 8915 remained with an red "!" mark.

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

1099r inheritance RMD

You need to delete the "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distribution and Repayment Worksheet"  (8915E wks). Please follow these steps in TurboTax Desktop:

1. Switch to Forms mode on the top
  2. Scroll down and select "8915E wks"
  3. Click "delete" and confirm the deletion
  4. Switch to Step-by-Step and run the smart check again

@lwang1 

1099r inheritance RMD

Thank you very much! It worked finally. 

I wished the error checking pointed to the worksheet rather the non-editable form instead. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies