Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-R with multiple amounts

I'm working on my mother's taxes and her 1099-R has 3 lines under each column. Box 1 has 329.60 on line one. 341.52 on line two and 264.06 on line three.

These same amounts are in the second column for box 2(a).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
AlexanderS08
Expert Alumni

Each Box on your mother's 1099-R has a corresponding box in the TurboTax entry screen for 1099-R's. I recommend you enter the information exactly as it appears on your moms 1099-R.

The fact that both columns have the same amount most likely just means the entire amount is taxable.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I noticed that each line has a different fund name on it. Is it possible they did this rather than send three 1099-R forms?
basically box 1 has 3 lines and 3 different numbers. Box 2(a) has 3 lines and those amounts match the number in the corresponding line for box 1. 

It's like I have three 1099-Rs on one form.

@s1d2c3m4 wrote:

I noticed that each line has a different fund name on it. Is it possible they did this rather than send three 1099-R forms?
basically box 1 has 3 lines and 3 different numbers. Box 2(a) has 3 lines and those amounts match the number in the corresponding line for box 1. 

It's like I have three 1099-Rs on one form.

There are a couple of financial institutions that assign a different account number to each fund and list them seperartely that way - most financial institution only provide the total amount in box 1 and 2a.    It is OK for you to just add the amounts and enter the total into box 1 and 2a.

(If you had 15 funds there could be 15 lines and you don't want to enter 15 1099-R's)

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
tooberand

I have a 1099-R with five lines that are all the same EXCEPT the last line has the "Total distribution" box checked while the first four do not?  Should I just go with one summed entry and check the "Total distribution" box?

"Total distribution" means you emptied out that IRA.

Don't mark that box unless it applies.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies