Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PDF file to TurboTax file

I'm needing to amend my 2023 tax form and to be able to do it electronically TurboTax is telling me I would've had to file my 1040 on TurboTax.  Well I did file on here and it was accepted but it didn't save as a TurboTax file in the program but as a PDF on my computer.  How do I fix this to save me from having to print and mail it out?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If you are using the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions installed on your personal computer -

Continue your 2023 tax return.

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home & Business)

Click on Other Tax Situations

Under Other Tax Forms

On Amend a return, click the start button

Thanks for the reply. I am able to follow the steps to amend but when I attempt to e-file the amended return, I'm told that my original 1040 was not filed in TurboTax when it in fact was. My file does not show up as a TurboTax file as I apparently only saved as a PDF file and I don't know how or if I'm able to make it a TT file

Did you efile the original return from this  same program?   You first need to check the filing status inside the program so it knows it was filed and accepted.  Open your return and go up to the top black menu bar first item

File > Electronic Filing > Check Electronic Filing Status

Then save your return and close it.  Close the program and reopen it.  

Turbo Tax is saving your return as a .tax2023 file on your computer.   It should be in your Documents then in a Turbo Tax folder for Windows.  Or are you on a Mac.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies