turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Only part of my IRA was inherited from my spouse and merged into my IRA ?

How do I show this on my tax form?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

If you mean that you received a code-4 distribution but only rolled over part of that distribution into your own IRA, to accommodate TurboTax's limitations with regard to reporting this you'll need to split the code 4 Form 1099-R into two, one for the portion that you rolled over to your own IRA and the other for the portion that you cashed out.

If instead you mean that you received a distribution from your own IRA (code 1, 2, or 7 in box 7), the fact that some of the money in your IRA came from an IRA inherited from your spouse has no bearing on how you report the distribution.  The IRA is all your IRA now.  It is no longer an inherited IRA.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

If you mean that you received a code-4 distribution but only rolled over part of that distribution into your own IRA, to accommodate TurboTax's limitations with regard to reporting this you'll need to split the code 4 Form 1099-R into two, one for the portion that you rolled over to your own IRA and the other for the portion that you cashed out.

If instead you mean that you received a distribution from your own IRA (code 1, 2, or 7 in box 7), the fact that some of the money in your IRA came from an IRA inherited from your spouse has no bearing on how you report the distribution.  The IRA is all your IRA now.  It is no longer an inherited IRA.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies