three-gables

On my 2016 return, can I deduct an HSA contribution made in 2016 for tax year 2015? If so, where do I enter the contribution?

BMcCalpin

No, a contribution that was made for 2015 must be reported on the 2015 tax return. This requires amending the 2015 return.

If you made a contribution for 2015 between January 1, 2016 and April 18, 2016, then in your 2015 TurboTax return, you will go to Federal Taxes->Deductions & Credits->HSA, MSA Contributions, and enter the interview.

As you step through the interview (be sure to click on the Edit button when you see "Your HSA Summary"), you will see a screen entitled "Let's enter [name]'s HSA contributions".

On this screen, enter the amount that you contributed in 2016 for 2015 on the line "Any contributions you personally made".

BMcCalpin