Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Had excess contribution for my 401k reported it as Less Common Income Still get an error: Elective referrals TP$ is more than the allowed 18500 for 401K. Check your entry

I withdrew the excess amount in time and i ahve reported the gross amount as "Less common income" Following the steps in this ticket https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4698683-in-my-elective-deferrals-to-401k-i-have-an-overage-how-do-....

When I try to file my return, Turbotax won't allow me to file because the 401k field is higher than 18500. It keep sending me back asking me to check the field.

What should I do? edit the the W2 401k field? Is there a step i've missed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Had excess contribution for my 401k reported it as Less Common Income Still get an error: Elective referrals TP$ is more than the allowed 18500 for 401K. Check your entry

No, you should not edit your W2 401(K) field and you haven't missed any steps.

TurboTax is aware of the e-filing issue that you are having and is currently working on a solution. An update to fix the issue is expected to be released around 4/5/2019.  

Be sure to sign up for updates to be alerted as soon as there is a solution.  If you do not want to wait for an update, you have the option to paper file your tax returns as this is only an e-filing issue.

You can check out this TurboTax FAQ for more information: Excess 401(k) Contribution Preventing E-filing.

How is this issue going to be resolved? Will turbo tax allow individuals who have excess contribution efile?
caseyrut

Go to the link TurboTaxRachelW posted and sign up to be serges when the fix is in. From my understanding, they are trying to make it where you can efile.

@TurboTaxRachelW  There was not fix for this on the date. I still have to file by paper which I really want to avoid. Is Turbotax going to fix this before the filling deadline is over? If not will Turbotax refund us ?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies