turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I add treasury benefit payment offset, garnishment and/or tax levy garnishment/social security on SSA-1099 to tax withheld?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Should I add treasury benefit payment offset, garnishment and/or tax levy garnishment/social security on SSA-1099 to tax withheld?

If it would stay there long enough to read it.  The answer seems to be no.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If it would stay there long enough to read it.  The answer seems to be no.

No a garnishment is not the same as tax withheld.  Tax withheld is in box 6 and is for current years Federal Income  taxes with held for 2017 tax liability

A description of an amount in Box 3 includes a garnishment or Levy

A garnishment or levy is for overdue federal taxes, or other specific over due debts. Per the Social Security Administration:Treasury benefit payment offset, garnishment, and/or tax levy – If we show an amount in this legend, either the Treasury Department applied that amount to a debt or debts owed to other Federal agencies; benefits were withheld to pay child support, alimony, or court ordered victim restitution; and/or benefits were withheld to pay debts to the IRS . Direct inquiries about what type of offset is involved to SSA at 1-800-772-1213. Direct questions related to federal taxes to the IRS at 1-800-829-7650.  

Or see this website. SSA-1099 Garnishment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies