Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife retired from nursing with a disability in march 2019. what is status-retired or what. how do I state on return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

My wife retired from nursing with a disability in march 2019. what is status-retired or what. how do I state on return?

You can list her occupation as "Disabled" or "Retired".

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

There's no special tax status for retired and you don't need to do anything. (The listing of occupation is for information gathering purposes and does not affect your taxes.)

There may be tax benefits if your spouse is disabled according to tax law.  There is a box to check in her personal information interview.  For taxes, "disabled" means "unable to perform gainful work, due to a condition that is permanent, or will last at least one year, or will lead to death."  

The ability to perform gainful work is key, many people who would be called disabled for medical reasons can still perform gainful work.  A person who retires on disability because they can't perform their preferred work is not necessarily disabled for income tax purposes if they could perform other gainful work but choose not to. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies