turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My siblings, who are not US citizens, will transfer some money left by my deceased non-US parent to me. Is filing an IRS 3520 all I need to do for amount above $100,000?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

My siblings, who are not US citizens, will transfer some money left by my deceased non-US parent to me. Is filing an IRS 3520 all I need to do for amount above $100,000?

If you receive a gift or inheritance from a foreign person (nonresident alien) or from a foreign estate and the total amount during the year exceeds $100,000, you are required to report the gift on Form 3520.

The corpus value of an inheritance is not taxable.  There is a possibility that 100% of the inheritance is corpus. If you receive a foreign inheritance payment that includes some portion of income, that income generally would be taxable in the US. If you received $101,000 ($100,000 from corpus and $1,000 from interest) from the decedent's estate, $1,000 would be taxable in the US.  An exception would be if there was some treaty that would exclude that income.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

If you receive a gift or inheritance from a foreign person (nonresident alien) or from a foreign estate and the total amount during the year exceeds $100,000, you are required to report the gift on Form 3520.

The corpus value of an inheritance is not taxable.  There is a possibility that 100% of the inheritance is corpus. If you receive a foreign inheritance payment that includes some portion of income, that income generally would be taxable in the US. If you received $101,000 ($100,000 from corpus and $1,000 from interest) from the decedent's estate, $1,000 would be taxable in the US.  An exception would be if there was some treaty that would exclude that income.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies