turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My mom owes money to the IRS but, we both love TurboTax. Is it possible to select the option to have TurboTax take their ~$35 fee out of the return before the remaining funds are sent to the IRS?

We can't afford the fee out of pocket but, the IRS estimated a ~$250 return for my mom (that they will subsequently collect) and we were wondering if it's possible for TurboTax to collect their fee before the IRS gets the rest.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My mom owes money to the IRS but, we both love TurboTax. Is it possible to select the option to have TurboTax take their ~$35 fee out of the return before the remaining funds are sent to the IRS?

While filing your taxes, Turbo Tax will allow you to pay with your tax refund during their step-by-step process.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

While filing your taxes, Turbo Tax will allow you to pay with your tax refund during their step-by-step process.

Thank you for your speedy reply, but...
That much, I know. I don't understand a whole lot about taxes and the IRS but, I'm under the impression that since my mom owes back taxes and this process is electronic, the IRS would just take her return automatically and she wouldn't see any of it. (Maybe I'm wrong; perhaps she receives her return and responsibility falls on her to pay the IRS *independently of TurboTax and their electronic processing*)

I'm just curious if TurboTax would collect their fee first BEFORE the IRS collects her refund.

Oh, I see! Unfortunately, something similar happened to me last year due to student loans. After I got a letter that my federal refund was redirected to the US Dept of Education, I had to pay Turbo Tax the filing fee.

Oh wow, that's a real bummer.
Despite how lousy that must have been, it's very useful information for me.

Thanks for your help!!!
I'll just try to pay her fee myself if I can afford it.
Manage cookies