Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

null737

My IRA provider mistakenly withdrew insuffient funds in 2023 and has issued a letter describing the situation. How can I enter this letter with my Turbotax filing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

My IRA provider mistakenly withdrew insuffient funds in 2023 and has issued a letter describing the situation. How can I enter this letter with my Turbotax filing?

Here is how to upload documents:

To upload something to My Docs™, follow these steps:

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account. If you're already signed in, select Documents on the left menu.
  2. Select your desired tax year.
  3. Select Upload and select the documents

Use this link for additional information:  How to Upload to My Docs

If you are referring to RMDs, if an account owner fails to withdraw the full amount of the RMD by the due date, the amount not withdrawn is subject to a 50% excise tax. SECURE 2.0 Act drops the excise tax rate to 25%; possibly 10% if the RMD is timely corrected within two years. The account owner should file Form 5329, Additional Taxes on Qualified Plans (Including IRAs) and Other Tax-Favored Accounts, with their federal tax return for the year in which the full amount of the RMD was required, but not taken.

See full FAQ by the IRS:  Required RMDs - IRS FAQ

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

But My Docs will not be attached to your tax return.  If you efile you can't attach any extra documents or letters.  Even if you mail your return they won't read or enter them either. @dmertz 

dmertz
Level 15

I don't understand what is meant by, "My IRA provider mistakenly withdrew insuffient funds."  Was there a distribution reported on a Form 1099-R?  If so, what is the code in box 7 of the Form 1099-R?

dmertz
Level 15

Do you mean that you were required to take an RMD and the IRA provider failed to make that distribution?  In that case you must complete the late RMD and file Form 5329 Part IX requesting a waiver of the excess-accumulation penalty.  2023 TurboTax will allow you to do this when in the 1099-R section you indicate that you did not complete all of the distributions you were required to make in 2023.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies