turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My income is lower in 2016 and with deductions I am in the 15% tax rate. Can I convert part of a Rollover IRA into a Roth IRA before April 15 to be taxed at 15% in 2016?

I noticed that my taxable income is significantly below the cut-off for the 25% tax rate. I would like to convert part of a Rollover IRA to a Roth IRA so that I can have that contribution only taxed at 15% — I think in the long term this is to my advantage. I discovered this in Feb 2017; is it too late to convert the money — i.e. did this need to be done before Dec 31 2016 or can I do this before April 15, 2017?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My income is lower in 2016 and with deductions I am in the 15% tax rate. Can I convert part of a Rollover IRA into a Roth IRA before April 15 to be taxed at 15% in 2016?

No.  Conversions are reported for the tax year that the conversion takes place.  A 2017 conversion  would be reported next year on your 2017 tax return.

The April 18, date is for new IRA contributions, not conversions.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies

No.  Conversions are reported for the tax year that the conversion takes place.  A 2017 conversion  would be reported next year on your 2017 tax return.

The April 18, date is for new IRA contributions, not conversions.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you for the clear and timely reply. It's a shame we don’t have these extra months; one doesn’t realize that this opportunity exists — or the exact amount one can rollover  —  until one starts doing taxes after the new year starts.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies