turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husbands company changed retirement plans from Edward Jones IRA to Mass Mutual 401k; they rolled everything over. IRS is now saying we have to pay taxes on it..?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

My husbands company changed retirement plans from Edward Jones IRA to Mass Mutual 401k; they rolled everything over. IRS is now saying we have to pay taxes on it..?

Edward Jones must have issued a Form 1099-R reporting this, otherwise the IRS would have no knowledge of this.

Did you receive the Form 1099-R?

Did you enter it into TurboTax as required?

What is the code in box 7 of the Form 1099-R?

Does box 2a show a zero taxable amount?

Even if the taxable amount in box 2a was zero and your tax return shows this as a nontaxable rollover, the IRS generally requires an explanation statement affirming that the rollover to the Mass Mutual 401(k) was actually completed since a receiving 401(k) plan provides no reporting to the IRS of receipt of a rollover contribution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

the 1099 should have had code G in box 7.  this would indicate to the IRS that it was a direct rollover and therefore you never got the money so it should be nontaxable.

when doing your return did you complete box 7?.   what code did you use?  

if the code on the 1099 is other than G post back in this thread

if it is, call the IRS at the number in the notice and explain it was a direct rollover so what do they want to show it's nontaxable.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies