Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

catmoore2

My husband passed away and I inherited his IRA and changed it into my name. Do I have to file anything, like form 8606. It was a transfer of funds from one IRS to another.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KenH1

My husband passed away and I inherited his IRA and changed it into my name. Do I have to file anything, like form 8606. It was a transfer of funds from one IRS to another.

No.  Since RMDs hadn't begun and there were no nondeductible IRA contributions (i.e. no previous form 8606), there is nothing to report.  Spouses can inherit IRAs from each other as if the the living spouse owned it all along.  You will not need to take distributions until you turn 70.5, unless you choose to.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KenH1

Two questionsL  1) Do you know if your husband had been taking Required Minimum Distributions from the account (i.e. was he over 70.5 years old?)  2) Were there nondeductible contributions in his IRA?  I ask b/c you mention form 8606...perhaps an old tax return had one?
catmoore2

Husband was 66 yrs old-didn't take distributions.  Never have filed an 8606 before.  Inf from bank suggested I might need to file one.
KenH1

No.  Since RMDs hadn't begun and there were no nondeductible IRA contributions (i.e. no previous form 8606), there is nothing to report.  Spouses can inherit IRAs from each other as if the the living spouse owned it all along.  You will not need to take distributions until you turn 70.5, unless you choose to.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies