My employer has 401(a) defined benefit retirement plan for me. No where on my W2 is there an indication of what I have contributed to that account. What do I do?

Turbo Tax asks me to get the contribution from my year end statement.  the year end statement from my employer reports the balance from July one year, to June the next year.  Turbo tax asks to indicate my contributions thru April 15 on that tax year.  Am I to estimate what the amount would have been reported spanning January to December of that tax year?  Is Turbo Tax asking if I choose to ADD to my Year End Summary for that Tax year? 

It may be in Box 12 or Box 14 of your W-2.  Or ask the plan administrator.

What are you entering that you need the year end statement and contributions?  Are you entering a 1099R for a Distribution?

Turbo tax is asking in Deductions.  I have no distributions for that year.  Do I simply put ZERO?  Even though I see no other explanations or instructions on IRS web site or from Turbo Tax?

Skip the deduction part asking about IRA contributions.  That is for normal regular IRA contributions you make on your own outside of work.  Like at the bank or with your own broker or mutual fund company.  As we have said the deductions on your paycheck are pre-tax (meaning before taxes) and have already been deducted from your income and you can NOT deduct them again.

Box 12 indicates DD and $ cost of employer-sponsored health coverage.  Box 14 is empty.  Plan administrator responded that it is a "401(a) defined benefit retirement plan with no Individual Retirement Account (IRA) savings plan available."  I am confused.

Thank you VolvoGirl.  I will skip it.

You don't need to do or enter anything for that.  You did not contribute to a IRA.  Just skip it.

A 401(a) or retirement contribution that comes out of your paycheck pre-tax (meaning before taxes) has already been deducted from your gross wages in box 1 on your W2, and you can't deduct it again. Notice that box 1 is less than boxes 3 & 5.  You only enter it from the W2.

My contributions to my 401(a) are post tax, and therefore not deducted from my gross wages. Does that make it deductible?

No, however when you draw your pension a certain amount will be non-deductible return of contributions.

The plan will keep track of that for you.