Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My elective contribution to a 403b is not being subtracted from my taxable income. Box 12 is code E and Box 13 is checked retirement plan. Has worked in past years.

I'm a pastor and have a housing allowance and contribute extra money to a 403b retirement plan. (Total of $7,942.59 in 2018)  In looking at my W-2, all the correct boxes are marked appropriately.  The only way I can get the deduction to work, is to reduce the amount in Box 1 by the amount of the contribution.  But then my W2 doesn't match what's entered in Turbo Tax.  In prior years,according to my understanding, the amount entered in Box 12 has always been subtracted from the income amount in Box 1 so the retirement contribution is deducted from taxable income.  Has there been a change in the Turbo Tax program due to the new tax laws?  Or has there been a change in how the amounts are printed on the W2.  The employer uses the current version of Quickbooks for payroll.  Please advise.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

My elective contribution to a 403b is not being subtracted from my taxable income. Box 12 is code E and Box 13 is checked retirement plan. Has worked in past years.

Your employer should have already subtracted the code E amount from the amount that otherwise would have been reported in box 1 of your W-2.  You don't get to deduct it again on your tax return.  It's always been done this way.

If your W-2 is incorrect, obtain a correction from your employer.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Your employer should have already subtracted the code E amount from the amount that otherwise would have been reported in box 1 of your W-2.  You don't get to deduct it again on your tax return.  It's always been done this way.

If your W-2 is incorrect, obtain a correction from your employer.

There is no changes and the amount in the W-2 box 1 should be lower due to box 12E. 

Box 12 codes

• A: Uncollected social security or RRTA tax on tips reported to your employer
  • AA: Designated Roth contributions under a section 401(k) plan
  • B: Uncollected Medicare tax on tips reported to your employer (but not Additional Medicare Tax)
  • BB: Designated Roth contributions under a section 403(b) plan
  • C: Taxable cost of group-term life insurance over $50,000
  • D: Contributions to your 401(k) plan
  • DD: Cost of employer-sponsored health coverage. More info
  • E: Contributions to your 403(b) plan
  • EE: Designated Roth contributions under a governmental section 457(b) plan

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies