Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My dad has Alzheimers and he received the form SSA 1099 and receives form 1099-r does he still have to file taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My dad has Alzheimers and he received the form SSA 1099 and receives form 1099-r does he still have to file taxes?

Disability is not an exemption from filing taxes if he has taxable income.  The 1099-R is probably taxable, depending on what kind of account it is, and the social security might be taxable if his other taxable income is over the IRS limits for social security.  

If he is not competent to prepare and sign his return, someone can do it for him if he has a court designated guardian or if he gave someone a durable power of attorney while he was still competent.  If not, someone will need to go to court to be appointed his personal representative. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Disability is not an exemption from filing taxes if he has taxable income.  The 1099-R is probably taxable, depending on what kind of account it is, and the social security might be taxable if his other taxable income is over the IRS limits for social security.  

If he is not competent to prepare and sign his return, someone can do it for him if he has a court designated guardian or if he gave someone a durable power of attorney while he was still competent.  If not, someone will need to go to court to be appointed his personal representative. 

If my dad owes the IRS money back this year and Im his guardian representive, will that effect me ?

No.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies