turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

southron

My brother passed away in 2016, a retired dentist he had sold his practice.In 2017, I received monthly payments from the purchaser. How should I handle this on my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

My brother passed away in 2016, a retired dentist he had sold his practice.In 2017, I received monthly payments from the purchaser. How should I handle this on my taxes?

As a beneficiary the payments from the sale would be taxable to the extent of interest income. The interest portion of the payments would be included with your other interest income.  It would be listed under "seller financed interest".

Use the instructions below to enter your interest income from your sale.

• Sign into your TurboTax account (online or desktop)
  • Select Wages & Income
  • Select Interest & Dividends
  • Select Interest from Seller-Financed Loans
  • Continue to make your entry - Do not enter an installment sale
  • Click the image attached to enlarge and view.

The principal portion of the payments would not be taxable because the value on the date of death of the remainder of the note would be your cost on the date of death.  This would eliminate any capital gain for you in relationship to the sale itself. 

If an inheritance return was filed any tax would have been paid on the value at that time.  If an inheritance return was not filed, it was because it was not required. This is a separate return and is not part of your individual tax return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

As a beneficiary the payments from the sale would be taxable to the extent of interest income. The interest portion of the payments would be included with your other interest income.  It would be listed under "seller financed interest".

Use the instructions below to enter your interest income from your sale.

• Sign into your TurboTax account (online or desktop)
  • Select Wages & Income
  • Select Interest & Dividends
  • Select Interest from Seller-Financed Loans
  • Continue to make your entry - Do not enter an installment sale
  • Click the image attached to enlarge and view.

The principal portion of the payments would not be taxable because the value on the date of death of the remainder of the note would be your cost on the date of death.  This would eliminate any capital gain for you in relationship to the sale itself. 

If an inheritance return was filed any tax would have been paid on the value at that time.  If an inheritance return was not filed, it was because it was not required. This is a separate return and is not part of your individual tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies