Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 2018 SSA 1099 shows benefits paid in 2018 includes money for 2017. Will the 2018 reported income include this, or will it be subtracted from the 2018 benefit amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

My 2018 SSA 1099 shows benefits paid in 2018 includes money for 2017. Will the 2018 reported income include this, or will it be subtracted from the 2018 benefit amount?

If your SSA-1099 is showing a 2017 payment along with your 2018 benefits, then the 2017 payment is considered a lump sum payment.  You enter it into your return and TurboTax will calculate whether any of it is taxable or not. 

Take a look at the TurboTax article below for more information and guidance to enter this into your return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4767454

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

If your SSA-1099 is showing a 2017 payment along with your 2018 benefits, then the 2017 payment is considered a lump sum payment.  You enter it into your return and TurboTax will calculate whether any of it is taxable or not. 

Take a look at the TurboTax article below for more information and guidance to enter this into your return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4767454

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies