Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 1099-DIV has a value in Box 2f, but TurboTax doesn't have fields for boxes 2e or 2f.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

My 1099-DIV has a value in Box 2f, but TurboTax doesn't have fields for boxes 2e or 2f.

The numbers in both of those boxes are also included in your income reported in box 1(a) or 2(a). So, that income is reported on your tax return. The entries you refer to are informing you that you have income associated with section 897 gain, which is gains associated with real property. You can read the literature that may have come with your dividend statement to determine if they have any special tax consequences to you. Otherwise, they do not need to be entered on your tax return, as the income is included by virtue of the entries in boxes 1(a) or 2(a). 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

A very helpful answer, thanks!  I also have a similar 1099-Div with 2e and 2f; it happens to be from a REIT.

Intuit, aka TurboTax, could prevent many of these types of questions/issues, by just adding the 2e & 2f boxes to TT inputs and not doing anything with the data, and stating what you just said. 

They could also ask if any "special instructions" came with the 1099 and to follow those instructions.

They could also provide a "Text Box" or "Notes/Comments" function (eg, as in MS Excel) where one could add some notes to that effect.

Of course, the most appropriate method would be to be able "Attach" files to specific entries, eg PDFs of scanned or downloaded documents such as special instructions, just for record keeping purposes.

Going further, it would make a bunch of sense to allow a whole spectrum of documents to be attached to the program for backing up TT fields' data entries:  1099s, W-2s, property tax receipts, charitable receipts, medical expense receipts ... you get the idea.  TT wouldn't necessarily have to do anything with the files, just "safe store" them along with the Return info to provide the supporting documentation.  (Helpful if an audit might occur several years in the future.

Quicken, previously an Intuit product, has had that ability for 20+ years.

Anything that Intuit could do to make TT more "intuitive" and complete, and not let these types of questions form for users would be highly valuable and save a bunch of (wasted) time!

Thanks for your reply!

/ss

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies