Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

More info asked on W2 Box 12 Code G: "Did you elect to have your employer make contributions to your deferred compensation plan,”

TT asks for more info on W2 Box 12 Code G: "Did you elect to have your employer make contributions to your deferred compensation plan,” The Learn more button incorrectly sends us to “What is mortgage interest”

Is this asking if my employer made additional contributions into my deferred compensation plan (ie on top of what I contributed from my own salary? e.g., Is it asking:

1. I designated 5,000 to go to my deferred compensation plan
  2. My employer deposited another 3,000 of the company’s money into my deferred compensation plan – not from my salary/pay.

I couldn’t find a reply to similar posts:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/wrong-help-file-linked-on-desktop-help-section/01...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/retirement/discussion/when-it-asks-did-you-elect-to-have-your-empl...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TeresaM
Expert Alumni

More info asked on W2 Box 12 Code G: "Did you elect to have your employer make contributions to your deferred compensation plan,”

What we mean here is did you request that your employer contribute money from your paycheck to your deferred compensation plan. If this sounds like your situation, select Yes.

If your employer contributed money that didn't come out of your paycheck, select No.

Thank you for your information about the Learn more link in the TurboTax Desktop version. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

9 Replies
TeresaM
Expert Alumni

What we mean here is did you request that your employer contribute money from your paycheck to your deferred compensation plan. If this sounds like your situation, select Yes.

If your employer contributed money that didn't come out of your paycheck, select No.

Thank you for your information about the Learn more link in the TurboTax Desktop version. 

"Elect" is the problem that I wanted to read in the associated help file.  It comes from my check but it is mandatory.  I cannot "elect" not to.  Employer contributes nothing, they just take out a % for the account

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

That's a very strange employee benefit program.  But in your case you'll still select 'yes' because technically you elected to have the money taken out of your check and moved into the retirement plan by agreeing to work there.  It's a technicality - and, like I said, a weird 'benefit' to force your employees to take it - but it's correct.

@ScottT18 

Not my employer but explains it.

https://mccc-union.org/obra-defined-contribution-retirement-plan/

And thanks for the reply!

Thanks - this and the earlier reply helps me move forward on my tax return

This is still not clear.

I could answer yes to both. My wife asked her employer to make a contribution from her paycheck to a 457. But the employer also provides some matching funds, which DO NOT come out of her paycheck.

Thank you.

CS

BillM223
Expert Alumni

"But the employer also provides some matching funds, which DO NOT come out of her paycheck." - are the matching funds part of the code G amount, or is the code G amount only what your spouse contributed?

I believe the amount in G includes both my wife's contributions and the employer's contributions.

It should be both.  That's what code G says on the back of the W2.

G—Elective deferrals and employer contributions (including nonelective deferrals) to a section 457(b) deferred compensation plan

It doesn't affect your tax return.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies