Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

javadog

Minors & Social Security/Medicare Taxes

During the previous year (2023), I worked a job and from each paycheck, both Social Security and Medicare taxes were taken out. At the time, I was a minor. Do I get that money back in taxes? Should that money have been taken out of my paycheck if I was a minor? For context, I made just under 10k last year.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

No, you do not get back the money that was withheld for Social Security or Medicare.   Your refund can come from amounts in box 2 or box 17.   Once you start working and earning wages, you start paying into the Social Security and Medicare system so that someday when you are old---or disabled---you can get an income from Social Security and healthcare from Medicare.  You have those withheld no matter whether you are an infant or 100 years old.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The only time you don't pay social security taxes are:

1. you are under 21 and you work for your parents

2. you are under 18 and you are a household employee for someone else working in their home (like a babysitter or aide of some kind)

3. you are a student, working for your school in a position that is related to your education (such as a college student who gets paid for working as a teaching assistant).

4. you work in certain specialized jobs where the job or your union provides a better retirement benefit than social security, in which case you pay dues for that instead.

Your social security withholding goes into the social security system and builds credits for your future retirement or possible need to go on disability if something unfortunate should happen to you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies