turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Make mistake on RMD 2016 income will going tax 2017. Please help me go back to off RMD income

I withdraw fist time RMD after 701/2  on Mar. 2017. No received form 1099-R for 2016. It is means RMD Withdraw going to Tax returned 2017. Now I want to back turbo tax to change
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Make mistake on RMD 2016 income will going tax 2017. Please help me go back to off RMD income

If you did not actually withdraw money from your retirement account in 2016, then you can't correct the error using your tax return.

You are required to withdraw an RMD by April 1 following the year you turn 70 1/2 in order to avoid a penalty. Because you turned 70 1/2 in 2016, your withdrawal in March of 2017 is timely, and there will be no penalty.

If you intended to make the withdrawal in 2016 in order to lower your taxes, it's too late to make that change. You must withdraw a second RMD by December 31, 2017, and every year thereafter.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

If you did not actually withdraw money from your retirement account in 2016, then you can't correct the error using your tax return.

You are required to withdraw an RMD by April 1 following the year you turn 70 1/2 in order to avoid a penalty. Because you turned 70 1/2 in 2016, your withdrawal in March of 2017 is timely, and there will be no penalty.

If you intended to make the withdrawal in 2016 in order to lower your taxes, it's too late to make that change. You must withdraw a second RMD by December 31, 2017, and every year thereafter.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies